Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Monday, January 24, 2011

First flight

I can't believe I am in Norfolk. Crazy!! It was a ver smooth day for all the flying we did. It started at 5 am, woke up an hour early. Didn't sleep very well. Then I'm about to eat breakfast when my taxi ride shows up 20 min early. Figures!! My heart was heavy all morning, just sad. I was pleasantly surprised to see the commander and chief Ehlers showed up to see us off. It was a very cool gesture. I've always been impressed with their leadership style, they're stand up guys, call you by your first name, and don't make emotional decisions. It's a simple fact that when people like you they will want to do what you tell them in terms of leadership. I hear there are a few issues with the shift I'm taking over for where I've been pondering how to deal with it as a leader. I just need to be myself. The first flight was smooth and we found out for the second flight that we got bumped up to first class. That's awesome!! I have never been in first class. It was great, the seats, even though just a few inches different, made a big difference. The dinner was great, it was a nice surprise. We got a shuttle to the navy terminal to check our bags in. I could see the female Navy TDY's that worked at the terminal were still rough and unprofessional. It's amusing, I was there for annual tour in 2008 and these TDY's were there because of medical issues or pregnant. As a pax representative you are supposed to be friendly, courteous and professional. Nope! And today nope! If any of my guys at Sather act like that I'll put a foot up their ---! Anyway we got our room, definitely not air force standards, like I said if I knew about the air force 20 years earlier...
Now I got the jet lag kicking in, 130 am and I'm not tired. Talked to Gina and we were discussing my Jenna. She had called me earlier and was balling. This is two days in a row now she has cried hysterically because I'm gone. it's weird, it's nice to know she cares, it reinforces that we have a very strong bond. I worry if we will have this bond when she becomes a teenager. I just cannot put into enough words how much I love my little daughter. It breaks my heart, especially with the intensity of her anguish. Gina thinks we may have to get some professional help. I hope it's just a phase, I recommended we put up a four month calendar and X out each day. I have a video phone and I think it will be huge in keeping us bonded. Hopefully it'll work over there. It' so bizarre, thinking that I have not worked since Dec 17. I'm so used to always working, usually having worked two jobs half of my adult life. So our flight doesn't leave until we'd at 1900. I guess I'll sleep in, eat, jog around the navy piers and see the awesome ships, and get my hair buzzed. After that I have no idea! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment