Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Norfolk Virginia


Didn't do much today. Went to the exchange to eat get a buzz cut and shop a little. I really enjoyed being here during my last annual tour, it really brought back memories with the navy. Norfolk is a huge navy base, with tons of ships and tons of training schools. There is a tremendous amount of officers here, you really have to be alert, ready to salute. The last time I was here I talked to quite a few navy comrades, and even took a tour of a guided missile cruiser. Many things have not really change since I was in 21 years ago. One thing that has are the navy work uniform. They have become so soft! When I was in we wore dungarees, they looked very stupid. Bell bottom pants, some goofy denim material, and the goofy sailor cup hat. Our rank was stenciled and spray-painted on, can you believe that? Now they get to wear a blue version of what we wear with a ball cap. We bitched so much back in the day and it only took 20 hrs to change them. Ya I'm a hater, hahaha. Later went jogging and trying to figure out my ipad. That's it, tomorrow is the point of no return.

2 comments:

  1. Tim, I want you to know that I am honored to know you and respect your past, present and future service. I empathize with the pain of leaving your family. I too have felt the pain of withdrawal and I understand your feelings for your daughter and wife. If there is anything I may do to help please do not hesitate to contact me. Please continue to update your blog. It allows us here at home to vicariously support you through it. Be safe my friend.

    Donnie Marzilli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you guys do the whole strictness on your appearance. I don't like how they make you buzz your hair. I think you should be able to have it the way you want. That's always fun go down memory lane. Which did you like the best, navy or air force?

    ReplyDelete