Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 7

Well, the two days in AlUdeid came and went like that.  It was pretty much the same thing landing as when we were first here in January, hurry up and wait, briefings, but at least turning in stuff was much quicker.  The tent they had us in was great, only about 5 or 6 people.  The food is definitely better, splurged a little on things I didnt eat at all in Iraq like chili cheese fries and yes, I had my first pepsi in more then four month.  The flavor shot in my mouth, it was like drinking it as a kid again.  Day 1 I walked to the main mall thing, It is a big air conditioned structure.  I am amazed at the number of huge multi-million dollar structures in this main area, I was so use to the prefab buildings and tents in Iraq.  These structures are for the living quarters, gym, and mini mall.  Now in the states, this would not be a big deal but to have this in the middle of a small Arabian country, it just made me realize how much it costs to have a military.  We hear numbers like in the billions and it doesn't quite sink in, but to see all of this construction, well, I hope we are going to be staying here for the long haul.  Unlike Iraq, Qatar is a very safe country, within it's borders that is.  It is very tough to even get in this country if you are not Qatari, it's just a great feeling to be somewhere where people are not walking around with weapons.  I worked out, indulged in a tcby berry smoothee, very nice, read, worked out again, goofed on the computer and then went to bed.pretty much the same routine the next day with the exception of watching Battle LA at the base theatre, man that thing was huge!  And the AC! A lot of your planning while waiting at the Deid revolves around which area has the best AC.  It didn't get 120 like thought but it was close!  I saw the movie on the pc in march Haji style, it was goofy and grainy.  At least the movie was more bearable. Because the quality is so great.  It was cool, something to do, good action, but way over the top in all phases, however, had one of the greatest movie quotes of all time:  Bridget moyrahen:  "I think I can help....I'm a veterinarian.". STUPID
Earlier in the day, I was having feelings of anxiety about going back to my civilian work, it's kind of ridiculous that instead of thinking of hanging out with my family, I'm thinking about working another year at the 8th grade, all the possible scenarios, and I'm not "feeling it" in any way, shape, or form.  Like I've said in the past,it's not the teaching, it's the age group.  The lord told me, and I'm sure of this, to just look one last time before I leave, even for the rest of the year, so I look at higley and not only is their one but two history positions available, plus a football coaching position.  I was so amped, I quickly fill out the online app.  It has been quite a challenge to look for jobs over here but the lord has perfect timing, we'll see, still need to get the interview.  Still it made my mood much better, yet it annoys me that I have always been where I sometimes can't enjoy the moment I'm in, that I worry about the next challenge or potential obstacle.  
Workin out the last few days in the Deid, I am amazed at the fitness level of these deployed airmen.  They are much more ripped and fit then when I was in the navy.  I think it's a combination of factors, being on a deployment there is nothing else to do, the supplements today are very advanced, in our day I don't even think creatin was out.  These airmen use them a lot, and in different combinations.  And honestly the air force has completely revamped their fitness program.  When I joined in 2000, the fitness program was a joke, we use to do a two mile walk for crying out loud.  Even the women are running through the roof.  I could work out for days and could not keep up with some of these dudes.  I'm old, no doubt about it, in a young persons military.  But I'm for the most part keeping up which is a good thing.  I only got about 90 minutes of sleep, just couldn't get comfortable, the AC was too cold, too loud, the mattress was killing my hips, then this yahoo gets up at midnight, 2 and a half hours before I do, packing---making noise, I decide to use the bathroom.  He says, "I heard from my lieutenant that our flight has been moved up three hrs.".  I'm so annoyed, this guy wakes me up when we just looked at the flight info 5 hrs prior, right on time buddy!  I just went back to bed, we later find out the guy was wrong, now we are at the terminal, waiting for the show time to board our flight, it still hasn't hit yet I'm going home, part of me has this mindset that we are getting deployed to another location, kin of sick huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment