Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Saturday, June 4, 2011

last night

I'm feeling pretty drowsy. The last two nights in the tents I have had terrible sleep,one thing with the CHU's, they stopped a lot of sound I took for granted. Two days ago it's the flippin Iraqi special forces having firing practice at 2am, lasted about 2 hrs, then last night it was the ghetto birds flying around the same time. Chief Wood of all people coined that term a few days ago, I did a double-take then busted up laughing, I guess you would have to know the oldschool Ice Cube Rap to understand. Overall it equates to about 4 hrs of sleep a night, I'm just struggling there, my Ambien has run out, adjusting to a normal sleep schedule is tougher then I thought. hopefully I can knock out tonight, I need to be on my A-game tomorrow with leaving, landing in AlUdeid, turning in all our IBA and chem gear then getting our billetting for a few nights.
Besides my normal routine of the past few days of working out twice a day, reading, computer-surfing, and watching my new re-imagined Twilight Zone dvd collection (pretty entertaining: 43 hrs of shows, pretty big name actors and actresses in cameo's, all for $15)I did laundry to get ready to leave. normally I do the service but I had to go to the laundry cadillac. That place is annoying to the extreme, the dryers don't work and people just take off for hrs on end where they jam up the machines, then you feel wierd having to handle their clothes. How do people deal with doing their laundry on a regular basis, why not use the laundry service? Why do I care, not my problem anymore
Had my last dinner here, decided to go Mexican. I'll have breakfast tomorrow but that will be it. I saw the command section sitting together but honestly I just wanted to eat alone so I acted like I didn't see them, i know, lame, but I just didn't feel like worrying if I was going to say something not approriate for the company seated together. as I ate it started to hit me how it's really almost here, I will never see this place again as long as I live. I never thought i'd care but I guess I'm getting a little nostalgic. Tonight I will look at the stars under an Iraq sky for the last time. I hope this country can get their act together before we leave, if we leave. Changing their religion from Islam to Christianity would be a start but that won't happen. Sorry I just don't believe in Islam, the vast majority are good people, just are going down the wrong path.
Our plane, lord willing, is leaving at 2:30pm and will get to AlUdeid by 4:30. I'm going to try to go to bed and pack the remainder of my stuff in the morning. So close, I'm just praying nothing crazy happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment