Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Thursday, March 10, 2011

psychological warfare


This will be the last blog i will mention the drama going on with the dayshift and the new escalating drama with segeant "jump-to". I have come to the conclusion that they will not change their leadership styles and nothing is going to change, that I am going to have to deal with this counter-productive, psychological warfare. Am i being over-dramatic? Hahaha maybe, but it does add unecessary stress.
So here is my last entry on this drama because you can all use your imagination from here on out and know that every three or four days a new situation will occur or a slightly different version of whats going on now, just plug and play. Well, just like i anticipated, sergeant "right" complained to sergeant "jump-to". Just like I anticipated, sergeant "jump-to" listiens to one side of the story and makes a rash decision without gathering facts or interviewing involved parties, just like the last week with the email response rushing a verdict on our baggage section involving the Balad DO. So I get an email from him/her explaining the purpose of a cypher lock, wow, this is so enlightening, I thought cypher locks were for decoration, not for making sure people do not get into a secure gate. So the email is like cc'd to four people and sent to four others, so funny. I definitely have to get the whole story out there so I naturally respond back with all the facts (this is in regards to the situation that caused me to raise my voice, see last journal entry)..this is nothing new to sergeant "vulcan" who was CC'd, who I had talked to about this about three weeks ago. So he makes a decision in my favor,but then we have our NCO staff meeting and now sergeant "vulcan" wants to revisit the issue. Are you kidding me? So we are all sitting around, people giving their opinions, obviously day shift leaders leading towards sergeant "right" and the nightshift leaders leading toward me. As we are discussing it I am realizing this is a very unique issue with many concerns, problems, etc. A temporary holding bin for baggage is nowhere to be found in the AOR maybe even the entire middle east, but Baghdad is unique in the sense that people get stuck here for days on end, waiting for a flight, there just isn't enough flights in/out to meet the needs of the pax. If they are leaving for good, what do they do with their luggage if they get stuck? Though I originally wanted to just get rid of the entire thing, I did start to empathize with the passengers. So when it was all said and done we left it the way it was, which sergeant predictably comments, "so in other words, were leaving it how the day shift has been doing it all along!" Clever to use that carefully placed choice of words, I thought. This is now going counter-productive to how I was trying to focus our manpower, so it's back to the drawing board again, which could make me wishy-washy with my crew. This is where I wish Nelson was here. Emotions? I was Initially ticked but hey I stood up for what I believed in, we talked in a forum where many people were getting involved and a consensus decision was made, not rash decisions by one or two people. I kept hearing, "we had a system and now all the sudden we're changing it." aimed at my initial decision. Damn right! It's not working for my shift! Anyways thats where we are at, I am mentally drained, but as the night DO said, "there are some battles that we are just not going to win, and that's one of them." So I will be true to my word and never mention the inter-shift drama again, you know it's there. Just like "the young and the Restless" soap opera. I was addicted to it for about 7 years, stopped watching it in 94'. But I know even today that Victor Newman still hates Jack Abbott, Cricket is still whiney, Victor and Nicky will forever be on-again off-again, Phyliss is still trying to blackmail someone, you get the picture, the same scenarios will be going on with me until the intitial March Air Base crew leaves May 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment