Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Thursday, May 12, 2011

the new guys

Man, am I embarrassed!
I just went to Taco Bell, and the haji cashier starts reciting exactly what my order is going to be, "chicken burrito supreme-extra onions, chicken quesadilla, bean burrito-extra onions." i started laughing, I told him, "I think I eat here too much." Either that or they have a super memory.

Our new guys are settling in well. A lot of experience. One of them was at Guam when we were there in 2007. I knew he looked familiar, small world. He wants to put in a complaint with the IG about the water bottles here. They are so big, and people are so wastefull with them. I totally agree with him, it is atrocious!! To my knowledge, there is only one recycling plant in the entire country! I told him, whatever I can do to help, let me know. It's a terrible waste, and with 11 yrs active duty, he seems to have the knowledge to be able to make it happen. One of the new crew I am very bewildered over. Very bizarre personality. I had an annoying but somewhat humorous first meeting with this person. I will call this person Sgt. "Wall" because I have never seen a person put up such a barrior in terms of socialization. I'm not sure if the humor in the conversation will show through, but a lot of it was tone in which they said what they did.

Me: "So, I can't remember, are you active duty?"
Wall: "no i am not!"
Me: "Oh your a reservist!"
Wall: "No I am not, I am in the Air Guard." (are you kidding me? there is no difference!! It's both part time, one weekend a month two weeks a year. The typical response should have been just, "Air Guard")

I then try to initialize some basic conversation in order to get to know this individual better

Me: "Ya, this is my first deployment"
Wall: fake laughter, "first deployment? hahahahahaha first deployment? you've GOT to be kidding me? Wow, first one!" (this was very annoying, it was said in a tone both condenscending and demeaning. what have I got to be ashamed about? Our unit went on our first one ever two years ago, are we less of a unit because we didn't? It actually made me greatfull I never joined the sorry-ass Guard, I had always heard they were getting deployed all the time, that's why I didn't join them. It was then I started thinking in my head, "hmmmmmm.")

more dialogue

Me: "So what do you do in the real world?"
Wall: "Stay safe?!" (I wanted to laugh,"you mean you can't tell me what you do for a living in the real world?" Funny!)

And finally

Me: "So, you married, family, kids or anything?"
Wall: "Family's good" (WOW!)

I wasn't the first person to take notice, for our first shirt asked, "have you noticed anything peculiar about....." "yes, first shirt, I'm trying to wrap my brain around it."

the only thing I can do is make sure they do their job. Noone is required to communicated outside of work related topics. to each their own I guess....

The new day shift NCOIC is a refreshing change of pace. He's mellow (like me), says little, and after getting the info he needs, he's gone! He doesn't hang out in the dispatch for 10 minutes and tell the dispatcher his endless aerial port knowledge, shift exploits and flawless experiences. And he doesn't take a daily inspection of the premises before shift brief. And I haven't seen him engage with the Shift superintendent outside for 20 minutes, and then coincedentally, have to hear the opposite shift superintendent say, "I've been hearing there's some rumblings...." So far, everything is good.

I have been getting very excited thinking of seeing my family again, going to Sea World, Disneyland, Dylan's graduation. It's almost a reality! I realized I must do better at engaging the kids more with fun activities we can do as a family, not just watching t.v. I realized being here I sometimes took it for granted in the past, saying "I worked hard, I deserve to be on the computer, or watch football, watch a movie." It is so important to the kids to give them my full attention, I will definitely strive to make them number one, besides God of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment