Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Saturday, April 23, 2011

4/23

It's been stressfull the last few days, the weather has been ridiculous, sandstorms, wind, rain, it's wrecked havoc on our flight schedule, planes moving up, planes moving back, people that get put on missions from out of nowhere, it's been highly annoying and has put most of us on edge to where we are pretty short with each other. got yelled at again for someone screwing up when I wasn't around, gotta love being in a position of rank in the military, shoot I can definitely handle it being yelled at if I personally mess up but to get drilled because someone took people to the wrong gate off the plane then we can't find them for a long time, it makes me want to scream but of course I can't.
Got in my first serious argument with one of my subordinates, we're cool now but it got pretty heated. He was in charge of the baggage and him and the other baggage guy go to breakfast with no radio and no one to cover. The dispatch is trying to call for baggage with no answer as I am on the way to chow. Here's what i was talking about the other day, communication, and there's a breakdown already. I saw him there, confronted him in front of people he was sitting next to but I did not raise my voice, but he knew I was upset. Once I saw he knew he messed up , I walked away. He talked to me later with my assistant NCOIC in presence, saying I humiliated him. I asked "how, you messed up, I had to let you know, I didn't have time to wait for the right moment, I didn't raise my voice, and I've warned you twice before." He said I got within three inches of his face, maybe I did, I didn't even realize, I felt bad for that, I told him I was sorry. We then have this two minutes back and forth dialogue where he was majorly defensive. He kept talking back but he wasn't calling me names, Even though I was upset inside, I knew if I kept my course he would have no other avenues of escape. I couldn't believe he though it was ok to just....oh forget it I don't feel like writing all this out. he realized he was wrong, I apologized for invading his space, my final question to him was, "can I trust you to train at dispatch, can you handle it?" He said something that sounded like something a marine would say before going to battle, so I said that's all I needed to hear, and walked away. If I would've stayed it would've gotten out of hand but really, that's all I wanted to do, have him aknowledge his mistake, make sure he wasn't going to keep messing up, and then move on. We've been cool ever since, there just isn't time to hold grudges, shoot, we were even joking around again the next day. This sounds wierd but I actually was impressed by him not backing down to me, it showed me he was a quick thinker and had some toughness. It was an interesting exchange but one I hope I don't have to repeat with anyone.
We received a message from ATOC that they needed two empty baggage pallets at the Glasshouse. By the way, the glasshouse is where the higher ups work and where the famous people that come visit hang out at until their flight arrives. We get there, drop off the pallets and a truck comes up. He says that Admiral Mullen will not be needing this much baggage support. Did he just say Admiral Mullen, joint chiefs of staff Mullen? Wow, that is the third big-time official to come through here in two weeks. I had a feeling it would make the news and it was on the front page of the stars and stripes. He came to ask what Gates and Boehner asked before, "do you need our help past 2011?" Why can't the Iraqi's just give us a darn answer, many lives are at stakes here, as well as livlihoods of many families. I mentioned earlier about how our Chief has dealt with the Iraqi Air force and their resistance to change, as he put, "they just don't get it." Here's what I feel: Invading Iraq was a big mistake, it turned from a supposed War on Terror into a Nation building project which eventually got us in the middle of a power struggle between two Islamic sects that haven't liked each other since the 7th century. Once Saddam was gone it was like the leash was let go between two pit bulls, with the U.S. in the middle. But as much as I believe it was a mistake to come here, it would be a bigger mistake to leave and let the country fall. It would be worse then the vietnam war, definitely be one of the greatest failures in the history of the U.S. All the deaths, injuries and money would be in vain. Staying here beyond 2011 would be dangerous, the Shiite leader Sadr already said he would retaliate if we stay beyond December. I think thats why our leaders have been here the last three weeks because they don't want to see it go to hell in a handbasket once we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment