Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Dreaded Clickers!"

Another day off, same ole stuff but this time I have clicker duty. Sounds stupid? It is! We have to sacrifice 3 hrs of our life we will never get back, sitting at the front counter of the D-Fac, clicking if they are active duty and taking a running tab of other groups like DoD Contracters, department of state, collation forces. Basically, how many are eating, who, and at what time. I couldn't believe how many people eat in there for dinner, probably 900 in 3 hours It’s no-brainer stuff but the shift is 1700-2000, which stinks because, “when do I sleep?” I have to be at work at 2330. I try to take a nap before at 1pm and I only can sleep a half hour. The shift ends and my relief hasn’t shown up. The kitchen guy calls the coordinator, who is no help at all. I won’t get into the details but someone screwed up with the schedule. I call the Day shift NCOIC and tell her I’m currently stuck and if I have to pull a double shift I will not be coming in till much later. She says they have two flights going on simataneously but she will send someone down to relieve me in 10 m. By the time the relief comes I’ve almost been there an hour over. I got about 3.5 hrs sleep, enough to allow me to function. Am I annoyed? Of course, but when I was in the Navy, stuff like this happened all the time. What ticked me off was when I get to work Christian says the day NCOIC says out loud, “It wasn’t that big of a deal, he had the day off.” So what! That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in awhile. My day off is sat. 2400-1200, how does that help me get sleep for the next night shift on Sunday? I like the fact that Christian told me what she said, my crew is watching my back for people talking about me behind my back. I’ll remember that comment she made when it comes to future trust factor.
I was burned out bad by the end of the shift. I brief the day NCOIC and she says something about, “you had the day off.” I do at least give her credit for mentioning that to me in person, so when I explained to her what I explained to you, she says something like that’s true or I see. Touche! I decide to go right to bed after I pick up laundry, instantly fall asleep for 6 hrs, I wake up, I know I need to work out but want to sleep. I then proceed to toss n turn for 3 more hours. I can’t believe how that dreaded clicker duty messed my sleep schedule up, plus I missed a workout day. Today is our 1 month anniversary, big woop!! Seems like 3 months, someone in cargo actually had the nerve to say it was flying by, he probably has grown up kids and a wife he calls once a week. I have 45 days of freedom until the dreaded “clickers” start calling for me again!

2 comments:

  1. I know your lonesome for your family Tim, I know they are missing you! Thank God you can vidio chat and call! That is a true blessing! Your in our thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and get in shape. I wish I was doing that, getting in shape! lol I am working on a care package for all you soldiers that are working so hard for our freedom and safety! Tammy Haight and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds like no fun at all. Doing the task isn't even the hard part, it's doing it while you're exhausted that's rough. I don't know how you functioned off of 3 and a half hours of sleep. I couldn't do it. And I don't know what a NCOIC is but I am sorry they said that. It's sad losing that trust with people.

    ReplyDelete