Mailing Address

Thanks for the letters and care packages, especially to my lovely wife, sister in law Chela, my sister April, my aunt Pattie, my cousin Meghan, Champs hair Salon and the Corriveau family. You're the best!! towens20@cox.net















































































































Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hookah Mania?


The weather has dramatically improved in the last two weeks. The days are now almost up to 80 and the nights you pretty much do not need a jacket. It sure beats the junk that we were dealing with, the crazy rain, wind, and cold. It’ll be interesting once it gets hot, I’m use to that, but they have humidity here. I’ve been to Georgia in June but it still never got above 102, here it gets to be 120.
The young guys here are crazy characters. SRA Christian is constant entertainment. He does dispatch a lot he’s about 6’5, black but likes death-metal more than rap. Since my office is next to his, I hear the screaming for hours on end. He was raised an Army brat so he travelled a lot, he has some wild philosophies on life and a psychedelic past if you know what I mean. He, like the rest of most of the young crew, is obsessed with smoking Hookah, a middle-eastern form of flavored tobacco. I had never even heard of it until a year ago when one of my cousins mentioned it on facebook, I actually asked if it was marijuana. Hahaha They love to smoke it, they got the fancy pipe-thingey. I have no desire, maybe I’m scared I might get hooked on it. Christian invited me to the bazaar next to the main exchange, I initially wanted to turn it down, wanting to stick with my workout schedule, but I thought, “why not, it’s also a chance to hang out with these guys outside of work.”
We take the 16pax bus, we took a different route then when we went on the cultural tour. I swear, Christian, Foley, and Graham are an insane combo, it should be illegal to have them in the same vehicle. They are alternating between blaring death metal and southern Rap, Christian is driving with one hand, fist pumping with the other, Graham and Foley are talking about X-rated topics. I’m just rolling my eyes, smiling, shaking my head. It’s a good 20 minute drive, we have to drive around the airport, plus the roads are garbage, you’re lucky to go 20 mph. I’m listening to them and it brings me back to my Navy days, thinking back 22 yrs ago me, Siebert, Anderson, Porter, Hodder, Blair, and Cook (ya, crowded car) driving down PCH on our rare weekends off from the Duncan. Blaring music, and talking about X-rated stuff. Even back then, I was more of the low-key guy, just listening and smiling. It’s just funny, 22 years and not much has changed, except these guys have more technology at their disposal. Scary part is, I’m old enough to be all their dads, hey, I feel honored they even invited me to go, they never would’ve asked Sergeant May, sad to say.
Knowing from experience, it is a unique period in all their lives. The sad part with the military is, it’s easy to slip into a way of thinking that, in my opinion, is polluted. You end up cussing like there is no tomorrow, and think way too many dirty thoughts, and for some, the dirty thoughts turn into actions. With a place like this, however, most of these guys don’t get to act out anything, thank god. Even when I was in the moment way back in the Navy, I knew that lifestyle was wrong, but it is easy to kind-of get sucked into it. My theory on why guys get corrupted in the military and especially this group is the need to cling to something to bond with. They are young, away from family, and they got nothing but each other. You know, like me, I have my family back home so I feel grounded and secure. When you are in this type of situation, you have an incredibly strong desire to be accepted. I don’t think they know it yet, but this connection they have, it will never be stronger then it is now. You never forget things, but I talk to some of those old navy guys I mentioned, you never really get it back. Life now just gets too much in the way. For example, the other day I’m talking to my navy bud Darrel “Papa” Hatchett, and we’re laughing about the old times, then I hear a female voice in the background and he has to go. That's what happens when time moves on, You have a family, you grow a career or business, and the bond just never is the same. Most of my old navy buddies now just have me as a friend on facebook with very little interaction, it's sad but better then no contact at all. But I look at these clowns in this bus and realize the closeness of their friendships are getting them through this period of their lives, I can relate to it for sure.
We go to the bazaar, and of course, I forget my video camera and leave my camera chip in the downloader so now, once again, I can’t record anything. They had some real cool stuff, a lot of jewelry, ornaments, rugs, leather goods, house decoration stuff. They also had a lot of stuff you would find at a garage sale, reflected by a dusty tint. It is overpriced, but you are expected to barter, man I hate bartering, I always had to do that nonsense when I was in Korea. I didn’t buy anything, but I’ll come back to get a few things. The guys bought their Hookah stuff, I guess the tobacco stuff is $2 a shot while it is $5 in the states. I asked if the stuff gives you a rush and one of them said a little, probably from the lack of oxygen getting to their lungs.
We go back, same routine with the crazy music, the head-banging, and now their conversation has turned to XXX rated. Man, get me outta here, enough is enough! We get back, I eat a powerbar, do my Plyo workout, and then get hungry in the middle of it and have to quit the workout. It made me realize how much I have my routine down to exact times. Anyways it was good to get out and see that stuff, I just feel bad for their lungs to have to endure the Hookah sensation. Feel free to write a comment if the stuff is really that good or high over-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment